Saturday, August 16, 2008

Before I go to sleep, it was a good Olympics day

I am 13 hours behind of Beijing so I won't be able to see second half of Sunday Olympics.

For whatever it's worth, the first half was great.

I was eating fried chicken for dinner when the oldest lady in Olympics marathon (from Romania) ran and won gold medal.

Then it was time for swimming! Wow! That was exciting!

Firstly, I was really waiting to see Dana Torres swim. This is her first individual finale in the 50 meters. She won a silver in the relay days earlier.

I really wanted her to win cos I really want the world to see that a 41 yr old woman can win the gold medal while swimming with girls half her age.

She won silver but she was so so so so close. 0.01 seconds - that was how close to the gold she was. Oh man! it would have been lovely to see her get gold.

Surprisingly within minutes of completing 1st race, she neede to get ready for her second swim. This time the relay for 100 meters medley. And Torres would be swimming last. Again she came in second but she put up a fantastic fight. US could have won, but when the baton was passed to Torres, her team was nearly one length of a swimmer slower. Torres caught up but just not enough.

Irregardless of the silver medals, I think she is already an inspiration to all women out there. Don't let your age be a barrier!

Then it was Michael Phelps 8th Gold medal. He did it! He deserved it! He is truly the world's fastest swimmer.

By this time, it is about 10.30pm. I have been out shopping all day and was getting a bit tired and about to doze off.

What a minute? Or shall I say 9.69 seconds!!!!!

The Olympics track and field 100 meters race!

It took Usain Bolt of Jamaica just 9.69 seconds to break his own world record to win the Olympics Gold Medal. And it wasn't even difficult. In the last 15 meters when he is ahead and winning, he actually slowed down to gesture the crowd and thump his chest! He knew he was going to win.

Seriously, I think his nickname "Lighting Bolt" is right because it really looked like he was that fast and no way others could have caught up.

Anyway, I personally feel he should have given his 101% all the way till the end of the race. He should have ran his best till the end. But anyway, what do I know?

Those were exhilarating races and I am glad that I watched them. Now it is my bedtime while you lucky Malaysians, Singaporeans, Asians can continue to watch the games!

No comments:

Bookmark